At the time of this article, colleges and universities across the country are deciding how best to reopen in a few weeks. Some colleges are choosing to conduct their semesters virtually, some are holding in-person classes, while still others are mixing the two—offering classes online and in person.
Some things about going back to school this year will look different, including less time spent in the cafeteria and nearby restaurants. Whether you’re living on campus in a dorm, in an apartment, or at home this semester, you’ll likely be eating at home more than in previous semesters. So we’ve chosen the best equipment to help you cook simple but complete meals—no complicated sous vide techniques or hours-long braises here. We included gear for those who have access to a stove and those who don’t.
No matter what your semester looks like, you’ll have tasty food and strong, full-flavored coffee to fuel you during your classes and late-night study sessions. Just make sure to follow the rules for appliances and cooking set by your specific university or residence.
Countertop Appliances for the Student without a Stove
Vital Kitchen Tools for the Student with a Stove
Coffee Essentials for the Caffeine-Reliant College Student
- 10 Pieces of Kitchen Equipment I’ve Upgraded Since Joining the ATK Reviews Team
- The Best Cooking Gear for the Solo Cook
- Our Favorite Cocktail Equipment: The Essentials
- I test kitchen equipment for a living. Here’s what’s going on my wedding registry.
- What a Professional Kitchen Equipment Tester Keeps in Her Utensil Crock