Serves 4 to 6
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, unpeeled
- 2 scallions, sliced thin
- 1½ cups cabbage kimchi, drained and squeezed dry, chopped
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat to 450 degrees. Spray rimmed baking sheet with vegetable oil spray. Shred potatoes with food processor or box grater, then transfer to large bowl. Cover with cold water and let sit for 5 minutes. Drain potatoes in colander and rinse and dry bowl. Using clean dish towel, squeeze potatoes dry in 4 batches, transferring dried potatoes to dry, now-empty bowl.
2. Add scallions, ¼ cup vegetable oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper to potatoes and toss to combine. Distribute potatoes in even layer on sheet, but do not pack down. Bake until top of potatoes is spotty brown, 32 to 35 minutes.
3. Remove sheet from oven. Flip hash browns with metal spatula and sprinkle kimchi evenly over top. Using back of spoon, create six 3-inch-wide indentations in potatoes. Crack 1 egg into each and sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
4. Bake, rotating sheet halfway through, until whites are just beginning to set but still have some movement when sheet is shaken, 7 to 8 minutes for slightly runny yolks or 9 to 10 minutes for soft-cooked yolks. Season with salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle with cilantro. Serve.