Why This Recipe Works
Whole braised cauliflower is a showstopper and, when done in the pressure cooker, a snap to make. We started by making an intensely savory cooking liquid of garlic, anchovies, spices, and tomatoes. Making deep cuts in the cauliflower's stem helped the fibrous core cook through so the whole head became tender. After releasing the pressure, we removed the cauliflower and thickened the sauce before spooning it on top. We prefer to use our homemade Ras el Hanout, but you can substitute store-bought ras el hanout if you wish. Serve with couscous, grains, or crusty bread.
Total Time: 45 minutes
This recipe only works with an Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ras el hanout
- 3 anchovy fillets, rinsed and minced (optional)
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, drained with juice reserved, chopped coarse
- 1 large head cauliflower (3 pounds)
- ½ cup pitted brine-cured green olives, chopped coarse
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup pine nuts, toasted
1. Using highest sauté or browning function, cook oil; garlic; ras el hanout; anchovies, if using; and pepper flakes in pressure cooker until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Turn off pressure cooker, then stir in tomatoes and reserved juice.
2. Trim outer leaves of cauliflower and cut stem flush with bottom florets. Using paring knife, cut 4-inch-deep cross in stem. Nestle cauliflower stem side down into pot and spoon some of sauce over top. Lock lid in place and close pressure release valve. Select high pressure cook function and cook for 3 minutes.
3. Turn off pressure cooker and quick-release pressure. Carefully remove lid, allowing steam to escape away from you. Using tongs and slotted spoon, transfer cauliflower to serving dish and tent with aluminum foil. Stir olives and raisins into sauce and cook, using highest sauté function, until sauce has thickened slightly, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cut cauliflower into wedges and spoon some of sauce over top. Sprinkle with cilantro and pine nuts. Serve, passing remaining sauce separately.