Getting kids to eat their vegetables isn’t always easy. We tend to turn towards kid-approved classics like green beans and broccoli, but in The Complete Cookbook for Young Scientists we wanted to expand their veggie horizons. Enter: roasted cauliflower.
All right, so cauliflower might already be a staple veggie (I know I personally ate my share of steamed cauliflower growing up). But, roasting takes mild-tasting cauliflower and transforms it into a golden-brown, subtly sweet and nutty delight that will hold its own on the dinner plate.
Sign up for the Cook's Country Dinner Tonight newsletter
10 ingredients. 45 minutes. Quick, easy, and fresh weeknight recipes.
When we sent this recipe out to our kid recipe testers, they confirmed it for us: Roasted cauliflower is actually pretty delicious. They commented on the crispiness of the exterior, the roast-y flavor, and even said it was better than other roasted cauliflower they’ve tried. Responses included rave reviews such as “It was DELICIOUS. 5/5;” “After trying this recipe, now I’ll eat cauliflower;” and my personal favorite, “Makes cauliflower edible.”
Roasted Cauliflower That Everyone Will Love
- Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Line rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil, and arrange 1 head cauliflower, cut into 8 wedges, on foil-lined sheet.
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil over cauliflower wedges and sprinkle with ¾ teaspoon kosher salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Toss cauliflower wedges until evenly coated, then spread into even layer, flat sides down.
- Cover baking sheet tightly with aluminum foil. Place baking sheet in oven and roast for 15 minutes.
- Remove foil and use tongs to flip wedges over. Continue to roast, uncovered, until bottom sides of cauliflower are deep golden brown and cauliflower is tender, 12 to 18 minutes.
- Remove baking sheet from oven and place on cooling rack. Let cauliflower cool for 5 minutes.
- Use tongs to transfer cauliflower to serving platter. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese (optional). Serve.