Getting kids to eat their vegetables isn’t always easy. We tend to turn towards kid-approved classics like green beans and broccoli, but in The Complete Cookbook for Young Scientists we wanted to expand their veggie horizons. Enter: roasted cauliflower.
All right, so cauliflower might already be a staple veggie (I know I personally ate my share of steamed cauliflower growing up). But, roasting takes mild-tasting cauliflower and transforms it into a golden-brown, subtly sweet and nutty delight that will hold its own on the dinner plate.
Want quick, easy, delicious meals to make with your kids?
We can help. Join the 250,000+ families who receive our FREE ATK Kids newsletter!
When we sent this recipe out to our kid recipe testers, they confirmed it for us: Roasted cauliflower is actually pretty delicious. They commented on the crispiness of the exterior, the roast-y flavor, and even said it was better than other roasted cauliflower they’ve tried. Responses included rave reviews such as “It was DELICIOUS. 5/5;” “After trying this recipe, now I’ll eat cauliflower;” and my personal favorite, “Makes cauliflower edible.”
Here’s how to make it at home:
- Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Line rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil, and arrange 1 head cauliflower, cut into 8 wedges, on foil-lined sheet.
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil over cauliflower wedges and sprinkle with ¾ teaspoon kosher salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Toss cauliflower wedges until evenly coated, then spread into even layer, flat sides down.
- Cover baking sheet tightly with aluminum foil. Place baking sheet in oven and roast for 15 minutes.
- Remove foil and use tongs to flip wedges over. Continue to roast, uncovered, until bottom sides of cauliflower are deep golden brown and cauliflower is tender, 12 to 18 minutes.
- Remove baking sheet from oven and place on cooling rack. Let cauliflower cool for 5 minutes.
- Use tongs to transfer cauliflower to serving platter. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese (optional). Serve.