I think everything is better dipped in chocolate. That explains why I’m always in the mood for chocolate fondue—but I’m rarely in the mood to make it at home. It’s always such a production that includes breaking out a big pot and a bunch of ingredients. That’s great for hosting, but most of the time all I want is a personal, scaled-down recipe that takes just a few minutes to throw together.
Enter the Dipping Hot Chocolate from the One-Hour Comfort cookbook. It just takes a minute—literally, one minute—to whip up this super-thick hot chocolate and personal chocolate fondue.
Sign up for the Notes from the Test Kitchen newsletter
Our favorite tips and recipes, enjoyed by 2 million+ subscribers!
Inspired by thick European-style hot chocolates, this recipe couldn’t be simpler. It serves one but can be easily doubled, so it’s for sharing (or not).
- Stir ¼ cup of heavy cream or half-and-half, 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder, and 2 tablespoons of sugar together in a small, microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave at 50% power in 30-second intervals, whisking until smooth.
- Serve with the dipping ingredients of your choice.
How to Customize Your Dipping Chocolate
This tastes delicious on its own, but it can be customized to your liking.
- Add a splash of raspberry, hazelnut, or coffee liqueur
- Stir in an almond or anise extract
- Dust the top with ground cinnamon, ancho or chipotle chile powder, or coarse sea salt
- It can even be thinned with milk and enjoyed as drinkable hot chocolate.
One-Hour ComfortCreate quick, modern dishes for all your cravings—from breakfast to dessert, game night to Sunday brunch—in less than an hour.
Our Favorite Dipping Options
Fresh: Any fruit goes with chocolate, but we recommend bananas, strawberries (naturally), apples, pineapples, and
Savory: For a less sweet but equally decadent experience, grab a handful of pretzels or tear hunks from a baguette to soak in that delicious chocolate. Homemade Kettle Chips also make for the perfect sweet and salty crunch. Or, try my personal favorite: a slice of buttered sourdough toast that’s been sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar.
And if you somehow run out of ideas: bacon.
- Millionaire’s Shortbread
- Chocolate-Caramel Layer Cake
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Sheet Cake with Milk Chocolate Frosting
- Triple-Chocolate Mousse Cake