Remember Chi-Chi’s? More importantly, do you remember Chi-Chi’s fried ice cream?
If not, my sincerest sympathies.
But don’t worry! Thanks to former ATK Test Cook Sarah Ewald, we get to experience the joys of that beloved deep-fried ice cream to this day.
(Without having to actually deep-fry ice cream.)
Sign up for the Notes from the Test Kitchen newsletter
Our favorite tips and recipes, enjoyed by 2 million+ subscribers!
It started back in 2019 with Sarah’s recipe for Fried Ice Cream Cake. This cake goes all out: a brownie layer topped with vanilla ice cream, toffee bits, chocolate syrup, and a cherry on top.
But wait, there’s more. . .
The outside of the cake is coated in Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal that has been toasted in browned butter–the perfect homage to the Chi-Chi’s fried ice cream I loved as a kid.
The cake is delicious. But when I’m having a fried ice cream emergency (which happens more often than you'd think), I just make that buttery, crunchy cinnamon cereal coating. Sprinkle on top of your favorite ice cream and you’ve got the ultimate ice cream topping.
Maybe keep a box of tissues nearby for those happy tears.
Browned Butter–Cinnamon Toast Crunch Topping
Makes 1 cup
If you don’t have a food processor, you can simply crush the cereal in a zipper-lock bag.
- 1 cup (1½ ounces) Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1. Process cereal in food processor until finely ground, about 15 seconds.
2. Melt butter in 10-inch skillet over medium heat and cook, swirling skillet and stirring constantly with rubber spatula, until butter is golden brown and has nutty aroma, 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Add cereal and cook, stirring often, until light golden, about 1 minute. Transfer cereal to plate and let cool completely.