When I was a kid, I knocked over cups so often that my dad dubbed me “Spillomatic.” These days, I’m a little less accident-prone. But I do still manage to inadvertently fling coffee all over my kitchen floor from time to time (once a spillomatic always a spillomatic).
Until recently, I would be crouching on my hands and knees wiping up that spilled coffee with an old rag.
But then, I saw the light.
Sign up for the Well-Equipped Cook newsletter
Shop smarter with our ATK Reviews team's expert guides and recommendations.
I spent months of my life evaluating mops (both traditional mops and spray versions) and in the process have become a full-blown mop evangelist. But so many people I talk to are still in the dark (i.e., using a dingy rag to sop up their spills, relegating themselves to a sticky-floored life forever).
In the spirit of Cosmo quizzes (yes I would like to know what my back-to-school style is, thank you very much) I am here to help you answer the age-old question once and for all: Do you really need a mop?
Take the Quiz: Do You Really Need a Mop?
These "yes or no" questions will reveal the truth.
- Do you have a pet, a child, a messy partner, a messy roommate, or are you yourself a fellow spillomatic? (Yes/No)
- Are you a normal sentient human who enjoys keeping your space clean, fresh-smelling, and free of stains? (Yes/No)
- Are your hands and knees sore/filthy from toweling away large spills? (Yes/No)
- Do you draw circles on the floor with your foot in a futile attempt to wipe up spills, a.k.a. “footing it”? (Yes/No)
- Do your relatives, roommates, friends, or in-laws like to comment judgmentally on your grubby floors? (Rude, but okay.) (Yes/No)
- Do you have one single square foot of storage space in a closet, basement, or cupboard in order to store a new, life-changing cleaning tool? (Yes/No)
The Results: If you answered “Yes” to any of the above questions, it’s time for a mop. (Hey, I never said it was a scientifically sound quiz.)
It’s one of those things you don’t think you need, until the one time you do. Like a spare tire, an umbrella, or an iPhone warranty because someone doesn’t know how to take a selfie. Ahem.
So, What Kind of Mop Is Right for You?
Buy a spray mop if: You’re looking to keep your floors sparkling but don’t have a lot of storage space. Our winner is a portable and space-saving solution that is great for handling touch-ups, smaller spills, moderate stains, and light routine cleaning. It’s perfect for apartment and dorm dwellers and others with less living and storage space.
Buy a mop and bucket set if: You want to really dive in (glad to see my quiz convinced you!). It’s easy to assemble; it scrubs up dirt, mud, pet hair, coffee, and stuck-on food spills with ease; and it’s incredibly absorbent yet lightweight and nimble.
Sure, the bucket takes up a little bit more space, but it allows you to wring out the mop head and tackle a whole house’s worth of floors. When you’re done, just pop the mop head into the washing machine for a quick clean before your next mopping session.
There you have it, folks. Put down the towel and pick up a mop. You won’t be sorry.