Last fall I developed a brown butter soy sauce. Do you remember it?
Soy Sauce Rice Cereal Treats Are the Best Snack You’ve Never Had
Infinite Sauce is delicious on its own. It’s nutty and savory, with a well-balanced, lemony brightness. You can put it on just about anything, including spaghetti and crispy chicken wings.
And as I’ve just so happily discovered, you can turn it into Infinite Sauce Rice Cereal Treats.
Sign up for the Notes from the Test Kitchen newsletter
Our favorite tips and recipes, enjoyed by 2 million+ subscribers!
I have a confession. When I started testing this recipe, I didn’t think the soy sauce and lemon would be recognizable in a sweet treat such as this. Boy was I wrong.
I’ve made (and eaten) brown butter cereal treats before. I love them. They taste like a sophisticated children’s treat. But the combination of soy sauce and lemon from the Infinite Sauce elevated these treats to something really special. They’re ever so slightly savory. They’re not cloyingly sweet. You take a bite of these and wonder, “Hmm . . . what am I tasting?”
And then the next thing you know you’ve eaten six of them. Yes, I’m speaking from experience here.
I’m telling you these Infinite Sauce Rice Cereal Treats are out of this world. Go make them. Now.
Infinite Sauce Rice Cereal Treats
Makes 12 bars
For the best results, weigh the cereal.
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Rice Cereal Treats
- 2 (10-ounce) packages marshmallows
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 10 cups (10 ounces) crisped-rice cereal
1. FOR THE INFINITE SAUCE: Melt butter in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and continue to cook, swirling skillet constantly, until butter is dark golden brown and has nutty aroma, 6 to 8 minutes longer. Off heat, stir in soy sauce. Transfer sauce to heatproof bowl, making sure to scrape out butter solids with rubber spatula. Stir in lemon juice. (Sauce can be stored at room temperature for up to 5 days or refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.)
2. FOR THE RICE CEREAL TREATS: Spray rubber spatula and 13 by 9-inch baking pan with vegetable oil spray. Transfer sauce to Dutch oven and heat over medium heat. Add marshmallows and vanilla and cook, stirring often with prepared spatula, until marshmallows are just melted, about 3 minutes (some marshmallows may not be fully melted; this is OK). Off heat, stir in cereal until fully combined.
3. Transfer cereal mixture to prepared pan. Using your damp hands, press cereal mixture into even layer. Let sit for 1 hour to set. Run knife around edge of pan to loosen treats, then invert treats onto cutting board. Flip treats right side up and cut into 12 equal-size bars. Serve.