Or you could candy it.
This recipe for candied basil couldn’t be easier. Throw some basil on a plate, spray it with vegetable oil spray, sprinkle it with sugar, and then microwave. Voilà.
The basil goes from soft and vibrant to crisp and almost see-through. Like basil stained glass. The taste is sweet and slightly peppery, and the basil melts in your mouth.
Sign up for the Notes from the Test Kitchen newsletter
Our favorite tips and recipes, enjoyed by 2 million+ subscribers!
So what should you do with all that candied basil? I have some ideas:
- Garnish a strawberry galette
- Sprinkle it over ice cream
- Add it to a yogurt parfait
- Use it as a stunning cocktail garnish
Candied basil? Yes, please.
Save the pesto for another night.
Makes about 1/4 cup
Total time: 10 minutes
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- Vegetable oil spray
- ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
- Line large plate with parchment and lightly spray with oil spray. Arrange basil in single layer on plate, then lightly spray with oil spray and sprinkle evenly with sugar.
- Microwave until bright green and crisp, about 90 seconds; transfer to paper towel–lined plate to cool completely, about 5 minutes. Serve.