It might be picture-perfect, but is that stuffing safe?
Sign up for The Thanksgiving Success Series
Be Thanksgiving-ready with the help of the Test Kitchen experts.
Is it safe to eat stuffing from inside a turkey?
Yes—as long as you take certain measures. And it still might not be worth it.
Stuffing should be cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. But cooking the stuffing inside the bird to that temperature takes too long; by the time the stuffing is safe to eat, the meat is overcooked.
Thanksgiving Classics, ReimaginedNeed inspiration for traditional Thanksgiving mains and sides?
Turkey Stuffing Safety Tips
In addition to cooking the stuffing to the proper food-safe temperature, the USDA has some other safety guidelines.
- Don’t buy a turkey pre-stuffed unless it’s been packed under USDA safety guidelines.
- Stuff the turkey loosely and cook immediately after stuffing. A moist environment cooks off bacteria better than a dry one and cooking immediately reduces the time for food-borne pathogens to multiply.
- Only stuff a small or medium bird. If your bird has too large a cavity, your instant-read thermometer won’t reach the center of the stuffing to take an accurate temperature.
The Complete Autumn and Winter CookbookKeep the cold-weather woes away with the only cookbook covering every cold-weather cooking occasion. These 550+ recipes include warming dinners, holiday roasts, seasonal desserts, and more.
Still want your stuffing to have that savory, cooked-in-the-bird flavor without having to worry (or eat dry turkey)? We have two ways to achieve it safely.
- Cook your stuffing in a casserole dish with turkey wings on top. In our Bread Stuffing with Fresh Herbs recipe, you get all that turkey flavor without having to actually stuff the bird. Sear the wings first to develop extra savoriness, and place them on top of the stuffing to soak up every bit of turkey flavor as the wings cook.
- Start your stuffing in the turkey and finish it outside of the bird. It may seem like a bit of extra work, but it’s the safest way to get all that turkey flavor and keep anyone from getting sick. For step-by-step instructions check out this article on How to Safely Cook Stuffing Inside a Turkey.
photo credit: ftwitty/via Getty Images