When it comes to a kid’s lunch, sandwiches are the classic choice (or at least they were back in my day).
But slapping a few pieces of deli meat between two slices of bread can get boring for kids very quickly.
Why not switch it up with a veggie-packed wrap?
Sign up for the Cook's Country Dinner Tonight newsletter
10 ingredients. 45 minutes. Quick, easy, and fresh weeknight recipes.
The Hummus and Cucumber Lavash Roll-Up from ATK Kids’ Complete Baby and Toddler Cookbook is just the thing to break out of a lunch-box rut.
Instead of starting with a wrap, we use lavash—a flatbread popular in Armenia and its neighboring countries. Store-bought lavash is often sold as 12-by-9-inch rectangles, but to make the roll-up manageable for kids, we cut the lavash in half (you can save the other half for another day). If you can’t find lavash, don’t stress—you can use a tortilla instead.
The Complete Baby and Toddler CookbookFrom purees to smoothies to family meals that everyone can enjoy, this cookbook includes the very best (kitchen-tested!) recipes to get you through the early years.
To assemble the wrap, we toss sweet cherry tomatoes and crunchy cucumbers with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper. Then we then spread creamy hummus evenly over the lavash and top it with shredded romaine and the cucumber-tomato mixture before rolling it all up.
And that’s it! A 10-minute “salad” that kids should pick up with their hands.
Hummus-Cucumber Lavash Roll-Up
- ¼ cucumber, cut into ¼-inch pieces (¼ cup)
- 2 cherry tomatoes, cut into eighths
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Table salt and pepper
- 1 (12-by-9-inch) lavash, cut in half
- ¼ cup plain hummus
- ¼ cup shredded romaine lettuce
- Toss cucumber, cherry tomatoes, and oil together in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Lay one lavash half on clean counter with short edge of lavash parallel to counter edge (save other half for later use). Spread hummus evenly over lavash, leaving ½-inch border around edge. Arrange lettuce in even layer over bottom third of lavash, then top with cucumber-tomato mixture.
- Fold up bottom of lavash over filling, followed by sides. Hold ends of lavash and roll tightly into cylinder. Cut sandwich in half. Serve or pack in lunch box.
Hey! Did you know ATK Kids has its very own YouTube channel? Subscribe now and watch great, funny, silly, and delicious cooking videos for the whole family.