Help. I can’t stop air frying fruit.
How can I not? The intensified heat forces the natural sugars of the fruit to come out of hiding. It wilts. It caramelizes.
It makes fruit taste. . . fruitier? Yes. Let’s go with that.
Sign up for the Notes from the Test Kitchen newsletter
Our favorite tips and recipes, enjoyed by 2 million+ subscribers!
You can’t throw just any fruit in the air fryer and expect to be wowed. Citrus fruits, for example, will dry out and taste bitter.
But there are plenty of fruits that can be air-fried. Here’s what works the best.
1. Berries: Strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, and cherries, oh my! Once air-fried, the edges darken and the juices practically burst out of the fruit.
2. Bananas: Bananas are my favorite fruit to air-fry. They retain their shape, but the tops of the slices get deep golden brown. It's like a crème brûlée but with no need for any sprinkling of sugar. Add them (with berries!) to your almond butter toast in the morning.
Healthy Air FryerThe Rumors Are True: Create Healthy and Delicious Meals with an Air Fryer
3. Pineapple: Like bananas, pineapple caramelizes beautifully once air-fried. Is your pineapple not quite ripe? Throw it in the air fryer. You’ll thank me later.
Try it for yourself with our Air-Fryer Chicken-Tomatillo Tacos with Roasted Pineapple Salsa.
4. Apples: Apples take longer to air-fry, but the results are worth it. For a sweet apple topping for ice cream, yogurt, or oatmeal, try this:
Peel, core, and slice 2 golden delicious apples into ¾-inch pieces. Toss with 2 teaspoons brown sugar, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, ⅛ teaspoon salt, and ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon in a large bowl. Transfer your apples to a 3-cup ovensafe bowl and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Place the bowl in your air-fryer basket, set temperature to 400 degrees, and bake until the apples are tender and begin to collapse, 30 to 35 minutes.
5. Stone Fruit: Peaches and plums work great here. Be careful, though. The results are so juicy, you might need a bib. (I won’t judge.)
Try it for yourself with our Air-Fryer Crispy Pork Chops with Roasted Peach, Blackberry, and Arugula Salad.