I’m a sucker for a really good takeout breakfast sandwich.
My go–to? Bacon, egg, and cheese on an everything bagel. It’s got it all: crispy bacon, creamy egg, melty cheese, and lots of napkins. Because I’m me.
I wanted to come up with a way to satisfy my “BEC on E” craving as easily as it is to call my local deli. So I did a little inventory of my kitchen.
Bacon, eggs, cheese: Check.
What about instant noodles? Breakfast sandwich noodles. A million times, yes.
Sign up for the Notes from the Test Kitchen newsletter
Our favorite tips and recipes, enjoyed by 2 million+ subscribers!
Think of this dish as a breakfast carbonara. But rather than whisking eggs with Parmesan or pecorino, I used shredded cheddar.
After crisping up some bacon in your skillet, simply add it to your cooked instant noodles, off the heat, and pour in your cheddar and egg mixture. Then stir vigorously.
This is when the magic happens.
The residual heat from the skillet gently cooks the eggs and melts the cheese, transforming them into a luscious sauce. The noodles are generously coated with a glossy, cheddary orange hue. Like a sophisticated Kraft Easy Mac. At this point you’ll likely want to shove your face directly into the bowl.
But wait! Don’t forget the everything bagel part!
A sprinkling of everything bagel season on top really makes the dish. The sesame and poppyseeds, garlic, onion, and sea salt pack a ton of flavor. Plus it adds a pleasant crunch.
Now you’re ready to dig in. Feel free to use chopsticks or a fork. Or even a shovel.
Breakfast sandwich instant noodles captures all the “BEC on E” flavors in one bowl.
(And if you’re like me, don’t forget the napkins.)
Breakfast Sandwich Instant Noodles
Total Time: 25 minutes
This recipe can easily be doubled.
- 2 large eggs
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (1 cup)
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 4 slices bacon, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 (3-ounce) packages ramen noodles, seasoning packets discarded
- 1 tablespoon everything bagel seasoning, plus extra for sprinkling
1. Bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot.
2. Meanwhile, whisk eggs, cheddar, and salt together in small bowl: set aside. Add bacon to 10-inch nonstick skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until bacon begins to brown and crisp, about 6 minutes. Remove skillet from heat.
3. Add noodles and cook, stirring often, until tender, about 3 minutes. Reserve 1 cup cooking water, then drain pasta and return to pot.
4. Add ½ cup reserved cooking water, bacon and rendered fat, egg mixture, and everything bagel seasoning. Toss vigorously with tongs until sauce begins to thicken and looks creamy, 1 to 2 minutes. Adjust consistency with remaining reserved cooking water as needed.
5. Divide noodles into 2 bowls and serve, passing extra everything bagel seasoning.