If you find yourself short a pie plate when baking Thanksgiving pies, a seasoned cast-iron skillet makes for a good alternative for a double-crust pie.

Make sure that the skillet is 9 or 10 inches in diameter to keep the volume and baking times consistent with the recipe. Since the skillet is deeper than a pie plate, divide the crust so that 60 percent is on the bottom to be sure it reaches all the way up the sides. Use the remaining 40 percent of the dough for the top crust.

A cast iron skillet is far preferable to a flimsy disposable pie plate. It’s far sturdier and the heavy metal pan conducts heat much better than thin aluminum, which translates to better browning on the crust.