In the test kitchen, our love for good coffee is only rivaled by our enjoyment of a terrific kitchen tip. Here are 10 of our best handy coffee maker hacks that should make your caffeinated life better and easier. Got a good kitchen hack to share? Send your best quick tips to QuickTips@AmericasTestKitchen.com.
Coffee Maker Hacks
- How to Build a Timer Into Your Coffee Maker
- How to Clean a French Press Coffee Maker
- How to Clean a French Press Plunger
- How to Make Foamed Milk in a French Press
- How to Heat Milk While Brewing Coffee
- How to Make a Single Cup of Coffee
- How to Grind Coffee More Efficiently
- How to Easily Remove Excess Water From a Coffee Maker
- How to Make DIY Vanilla-Flavored Coffee
- How to Make Cleaning a Percolator Easier
→ Read our review of automatic drip coffee makers
How to Clean a French Press Coffee Maker
French presses are hard to clean as the spent grounds cling to the bottom of the carafe. To easily get rid of all the grounds without having any go down the garbage disposal (usually considered inadvisable), try this tip:
→ Read our review of fine-mesh strainers
→ Read our review of French press coffee makers
→ Watch our video on how to make homemade hot chocolate mix
How to Heat Milk While Brewing Coffee
Like your coffee with milk, but also like it piping hot? Instead of pouring cold milk into your cup for a tepid drink, do the following.
→ Read our review of thermal carafes
How to Make a Single Cup of Coffee
Instead of using a large coffee maker to brew a single cup, here's a creative alternative using a funnel.
→ Read our review of pour-over coffee brewers and review of electric kettles
→ Read our review of coffee grinders
→ Science: Is basting a chicken or turkey really worth it?
→ Read our taste test of vanilla beans
How to Make Cleaning a Percolator Easier
Hate the messy chore of cleaning damp coffee grounds out of the plastic basket of your coffee percolator? Here's how to make cleanup easier: