If you don’t know much about the National Magazine Awards, here’s a quick rundown: They’ve been around since 1966 and they’re sponsored by both ASME and the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism (ASME also administers them). The awards were once limited to print but now recognize journalism published in any medium.
Our brand is a finalist in two categories: General Excellence, Service and Lifestyle; and Video.
For the first category (which considers all content types produced by a publication, including print, web, and video), we submitted three issues from 2022 (March/April, May/June, September/October) along with links to stories and reels that feature some of our best reporting, science-based discoveries, and exhaustive kitchen testing from the year.
Check them out here.
- Taiwan’s Impossibly Crispy Pork Chops
- Jamaica’s Most Comforting Routine
- Tender, Buttery, Flaky Fruit Pie—But Make It Portable
- Noodles for Vegetable Lovers
- This Dish Changed the Way I Eat Poached Eggs
- The White Bread that Converted a Diehard Sourdough Baker
- What is the Difference Between Right Twix and Left Twix? Ask Paul
- Does Kimchi Go Bad? Ask Paul
- How to Pick a Great Watermelon
- Why Very Hot and Very Cold Foods Need More Salt
- The Science of Kimchi Fermentation
- Whisk and Wait Chocolate Chip Cookies
For the Video category, we were nominated for the episode on asparagus from the hit Youtube series What’s Eating Dan?, created and hosted by Editor in Chief Dan Souza. This series conveys the nerdy vibe of Cook’s Illustrated in a fun, lighthearted way, and gives the viewer a better understanding of the complex science behind everyday cooking.
ASME will announce the winners of the 2023 National Magazine Awards on Tuesday, March 28. Fingers crossed!