Best Apples for Baking
A combination of sweet and tart apples works best in pie. These six varieties, all of which retain their shape when cooked, were our favorites in kitchen tests.
- Golden Delicious: Sweet with buttery undertones.
- Braeburn: Takes on a pear-like flavor when baked.
- Jonagold: Similar to Golden Delicious, but more intense.
- Granny Smith: Vibrantly tart. Held shape best.
- Empire: Strong, complex, cider-like flavor.
- Cortland: Similar to the Empire, but more tart than complex.