Privacy Notice for California Residents
We at America's Test Kitchen and our related brands, including Cook's Illustrated and Cook's Country (collectively, “ATK”), are committed to respecting your privacy. The purpose of this Privacy Notice for California Residents (“Notice”) is to inform California residents of how we collect, use, disclose, transfer, and store your information when you visit our websites or subscribe for our magazines or products (“Products”). This Notice applies to the privacy practices for americastestkitchen.com, cooksillustrated.com, cookscountry.com, onlinecookingschool.com, americastestkitchenfeed.com, and the Cook’s Illustrated and Cook's Country iPad Apps. This Notice also applies to information we collect from registrants and participants over the age of 13 through and in our ATK Kids website at americastestkitchen.com/kids/grownups. All of our adult sites and apps are referred to collectively in this Notice as the “Sites.” We adopt this Notice to comply with the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (CCPA) and any terms defined in the CCPA have the same meaning when used in this Notice.
1. COLLECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
1.1 Personal Information. “Personal information” means information that identifies, relates to, describes, is capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked to, directly or indirectly, a particular consumer or household. Personal Information does not include:
Publicly Available - Publicly available information from federal, state, or local government records.
Deidentified or Aggregate information – “Deidentified Information” means information that cannot reasonably identify, relate to, describe, be capable of being associated with, or be linked, directly or indirectly, to a particular individual, and for which we have implemented technical safeguards and business processes that prohibit reidentification of the individual. “Aggregate Information” means information that relates to a group or category of individuals, from which individual identities have been removed, that is not linked or reasonably linkable to any individual or household, including via a device. We may use Deidentified Information and Aggregate Information for any legal purpose, including without limitation for any purpose for which we use Personal Information.
We have collected one or more of the following categories of Personal Information about or from you within the last twelve (12) months:
A. Individual Identifiers and Demographic Information
Email, Password, Phone Number, Date of Birth, Age Range, Internet Protocol Address, Real Name, Alias, Postal Address, Unique Personal Identifier, Online Identifier, Account Name, or other similar identifiers.
B. Payment Related Information
|A credit card number, debit card number, or other payment-related information.||
|Age (40 years or older), race, gender identity, citizenship, marital status.||
D. Commercial Information
Records of products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies, including information about you obtained from third parties.
E. Internet or Network Activity
Browsing history, search history, information on an individual’s interaction with a website, application, or advertisement. Network and device related information. Social media integration.
|F. Geolocation information||Specific location data of individuals who consent to providing such data||
|G. Inferences Drawn from Personal Information||Profile reflecting your preferred interests, purchasing or consuming characteristics.||
1.2 Sources of Personal Information. We obtain the categories of Personal Information listed above on or through the Sites, your subscriptions to and purchases of our Products, and from the following categories of sources:
- Personal Information You Provide. We collect Personal Information when you voluntarily submit it to us. For example, we may collect or receive Personal Information from a user that creates an Account; provides information to us in person or on or through our website or mobile app; signs up to receive any of our communications; participates in one of our surveys or events; provides information in any posting or online review; submits a request to our customer service team; interacts with our social media pages; or otherwise interacts with us or other users, or any of our advertisers or third party service or product providers through the Sites.
- Automatically Collected Personal Information. We collect other information from you automatically through the Sites. For example, we receive Personal Information from you when you navigate the Sites on any device. We may also collect Personal Information about you over time and across different websites, apps, and devices when you access the Sites. We may collect information about your precise or approximate location as determined through data such as your IP address or mobile device’s GPS to offer you an improved user experience. Most mobile devices allow you to control or disable the use of location services for applications in the device’s settings menu. We may also collect this information even when you are not using our App if this connection is enabled through your settings or device permissions. We also collect some Personal Information automatically using cookies or other online tracking technologies as described in Cookies and Other Technology below.
- Personal Information Obtained from Third Parties. In addition to the Personal Information that we collect from you directly and automatically, we may receive Personal Information about you from other third-party sources. For example, we may receive Personal Information from our business partners, our advertisers or sponsors, or companies that provide Personal Information to supplement what we already know about you. We may obtain geolocation data from third parties. We may merge or combine such Personal Information with the Personal Information we collect from you directly or automatically.
Our primary purpose in collecting Personal Information is to provide the functionality offered through the Sites and to market, promote and sell our Products. We may also use Personal Information for the following purposes:
- Legitimate Business Purpose. To fulfill or meet the reason you provided the information, such as fulfilling subscription and Product orders.
- To Provide Special Services. If you provide your Personal Information to request a special service like event reservation or requesting information relating to your interests, we will use such information to assist you. We may also save your Personal Information to facilitate future requests.
- To Improve the Sites. We use Personal Information to understand and analyze the usage trends and preferences of our users to make the Sites and content better, diagnose technical issues, prevent fraud, deliver promotions and recommendations more efficiently, refine our services offerings, and develop new features and functionality.
- To Understand Your Interests. We use your Personal Information to personalize your experience on the Sites, and to deliver information relevant to your interests.
- To Respond to Your Requests or Questions. We use Personal Information to provide you with support and to respond to your requests for customer support, including to investigate and address your concerns and monitor and improve our responses. This may also include responding to your feedback.
- To Set Up Your Account. If you set up an Account, we will use the registration information you provide in relation to that Account creation to create, maintain, customize, and secure your Account, and may include information about you gathered from third party sources such as from your other social media accounts.
- Direct Mail Campaigns We may exchange our subscriber lists (name and mailing address) for money or in a list swap for direct mail purposes. We also participate in co-ops that share subscriber lists (name and mailing address) to use for and improve our direct mail campaigns.
- To Secure the Sites. We use Personal Information to maintain the safety, security, and integrity of the Sites, databases and other technology assets, business, and other users.
- To Communicate with You. We communicate with you about your Account or our relationship. We may also contact you about this Notice, or other policies or terms that govern our relationship.
- As Required by Law. We use Personal Information to respond to requests from law enforcement and as required by applicable law, court order, or government investigation.
3. SHARING OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We may disclose your Personal Information to a third party for a business purpose or sell your Personal Information, subject to your right to opt-out of those sales (see Opting Out and Do Not Sell). The CCPA prohibits third parties who purchase the Personal Information from reselling it unless you have received explicit notice and an opportunity to opt-out of further sales. We may share your Personal Information in the following circumstances:
3.1 Related Companies and M&A Transactions. We may share your Personal Information with companies that are affiliated with us (that is, that control, are controlled by, or are under common control with us). In addition, if we sell all or part of our business or make a sale or transfer of assets or are otherwise involved in a merger or business transfer, we may transfer your Personal Information to a third party as part of that transaction.
3.2 Consent. We may ask if you would like us to share your Personal Information with other unaffiliated third parties who are not described elsewhere in this Notice, and we may do so only with your consent.
3.4 Service Providers. We may share your Personal Information with third parties who perform services on our behalf. For example, we use a third party to host the Sites and our data. Among other things service providers may help us perform website or application hosting, app design, maintenance services, database management and/or analytics, web analytics, app analytics, SMS notifications, payment processing, fraud protection, marketing, advertising, or any other use set out in this Notice. Access to your Personal Information by these service providers is limited to the information reasonably necessary for the service provider to perform its limited function.
3.5 Behavioral-Based Advertising. We may participate in behavioral-based advertising. This means that a third party may use technology (e.g., a cookie) to collect information about your use of the Sites so that we can provide advertising about products and services tailored to your interest. That advertising may appear either on the Sites or on other websites or through other media, such as mail. Please see Cookies and Other Technology below for more information and instructions on ways to opt-out or limit our collection of this information.
3.6 Affiliated Offerings. We may jointly offer events, promotions, or any other product or service offerings with our network of affiliated companies or our sponsors. The Personal Information that you submit through an event, promotion, or other product or service offering offered by any of our network of affiliated companies or sponsors may be combined and transmitted with the registration information related to your Account. Third party partners may collect information directly from you, which may be combined with Personal Information disclosed by us. If you decide to request, enter into, or participate in an event, promotion, or other product or service offering that is offered by us and identified as a joint effort with another party, the information that you provide may be shared with us and with that identified third party.
3.7 Direct Mail Campaigns. We may exchange our subscriber lists (name and mailing address) with third parties or through co-ops, either for cash or for prospective customer lists in order to promote our Products through direct mail campaigns.
3.8 Aggregate Information. We may share or sell Aggregate Information and other anonymized or Deidentified Information for regulatory compliance, industry and market analysis, research, demographic profiling, marketing and advertising, and other business purposes.
3.9 Categories of Personal Information Disclosed for a Business Purpose or Valuable Consideration. We must disclose whether the following categories of Personal Information are disclosed for a "business purpose" or “valuable consideration” as those terms are defined under California law. Note that while a category below may be marked, that does not necessarily mean that we have Personal Information in that category about you. In the past twelve months, we have disclosed the following categories of Personal Information in the manner described.
|Category||Information is Disclosed for a Business Purpose or as Described in this Notice||Information is Disclosed for a Business Purpose or as Described in this Notice|
|A. Individual Identifiers and Demographic Information||
|Yes (Name and mailing address) for direct mail campaigns)|
|B. Payment Related Information||Yes||No|
|D. Commercial Information||Yes||No|
|E. Internet or Network Activity||Yes||No|
|F. Geolocation Information||Yes||No|
|G. Inferences Drawn from Personal Information||Yes||No|
No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is fully secure. While we use reasonable efforts to protect your Personal Information from the risks presented by unauthorized access or acquisition, we cannot guarantee the security of your Personal Information. In the event that we are required by law to inform you of any unauthorized access or acquisition of your Personal Information we may notify you electronically, in writing, or by telephone, if permitted to do so by law.
5. COOKIES AND OTHER TECHNOLOGY
5.1 “Cookies” are small pieces of information that a website stores on your device while you are viewing a Service. We may use both session cookies (which expire once you close your web browser) and persistent cookies (most of which have an expiration date, based on the purpose of the cookie, at which point they self-delete) to provide you with a more personal and interactive experience on our Services. We place three kinds of cookies: essential, advertising, and performance/analytics.
5.2 Essential Cookies. These cookies are strictly necessary to provide you with the Sites and to use some of its features, such as access to secure areas. Because these cookies are strictly necessary to deliver the Sites, you cannot refuse them without impacting how the Sites
- for “essential” or “functional” purposes, such as to enable various features of the Sites like remembering passwords or staying logged in during your session;
- for analytics purposes, consistent with our legitimate interests in how the Sites are used or perform, how users engage with and navigate through the Sites, what sites users visit before visiting the Sites, how often they visit the Sites, whether an email was received or opened, and other similar information; and
- subject to any consent required by law, for the purpose of displaying advertisements via retargeting to those users who have visited the Sites, or for targeting advertising to visitors to the Sites