To devise a properly chewy brownie recipe, we first had to discover the perfect ratio of oil to butter. We then combated greasiness by replacing some of the oil with egg yolks, whose emulsifiers prevent fat from separating and leaking out d...
- 1/3cup Dutch-processed cocoa
- 1 1/2teaspoons instant espresso, (optional)
- 1/2cup plus 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 2ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped (see note)
- 4tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2large eggs
- 2large egg yolks
- 2teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2cups (17 1/2 ounces) sugar
- 1 3/4cups (8 3/4 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4teaspoon table salt
- 6ounces bittersweet chocolate, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (see note)
Makes twenty-four 2-inch brownies
1. Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Referring to directions in Making a Foil Sling (related), make sling using the following steps: Cut 18-inch length foil and fold lengthwise to 8-inch width. Fit foil into length of 13 by 9-inch baking pan, pushing it into corners and up sides of pan; allow excess to overhang pan edges. Cut 14-inch length foil and fit into width of pan in the same manner, perpendicular to the first sheet (if using extra-wide foil, fold second sheet lengthwise to 12-inch width). Spray with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Whisk cocoa, espresso powder (if using), and boiling water together in large bowl until smooth. Add unsweetened chocolate and whisk until chocolate is melted. Whisk in melted butter and oil. (Mixture may look curdled.) Add eggs, yolks, and vanilla and continue to whisk until smooth and homogeneous. Whisk in sugar until fully incorporated. Add flour and salt and mix with rubber spatula until combined. Fold in bittersweet chocolate pieces.
3. Scrape batter into prepared pan and bake until toothpick inserted halfway between edge and center comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached, 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer pan to wire rack and cool 1½ hours.
4. Using foil overhang, lift brownies from pan. Return brownies to wire rack and let cool completely, about 1 hour. Cut into 2-inch squares and serve.
Pyrex 2-Cup Measuring Cup
Di Oro Living Seamless Silicone Spatula—Large
Cuisipro Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons Set